Monday, November 1, 2010

Book Recommendations

I read these books this summer, The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot and The Help by Kathryn Stockett and recommend them both.
Skloot was a bit dry in a couple spots but her tenaciousness and sense of humor in dealing with the struggles she encountered and overcame while researching the book added to the realism of the story.  Some of the facts regarding the treatment of Henrietta, her family and her race saddened me but most amazing stories have a harsh side somewhere or they wouldn't be as compelling.
Stockett's writing pulled me in 100%, I wanted to be Skeeter's friend and punch her so called "friends" in the stomach !!  I'm not really violent, the post office bomb threat was a joke, honest!:) Parts of Skeeter's story hit too close to home, childhood trauma, that still hurts today.....crazy huh??  If you read either one let me know what you think, if anyone else has read them, would love to hear your opinion. 
I enjoy http://www.bookbrowse.com/ for recommendations and research.

1 comment:

  1. Most of the books I have read lately are novels about people in knitting groups, based around yarn stores. I think they are in the mystery section in the library. Usually there is a section in the back, where there are a few printed patterns (scarves, hats, mittens) and maybe even a recipe or two. The last one I read is "Lady in the Attic," (can't remember the Author).

    My favorite Author in general right now is Alexander McCall Smith (our library has his books under mysteries, under "M" for McCall). I have read all of the first series he has written, called the "Ladies #1 Detective Series. . .", forgive me, I can't remember the entire name of the series!

    That's all for now. I am going to try to post a photo for this blog. I have some under Picasa, but they didn't show up when when I signed up.

    ReplyDelete

How nice of you to leave a comment :)