Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Never too late

Aren't these pies beautiful??  I made them and they didn't just look good, they tasted good too!!  This is a big accomplishment for me and I am very proud of myself.
My step-mom is the pie maker from heaven.   Marty & I believe she makes the best crust on this side of heaven and the filling isn't bad either :) I have watched her make pies many times, I have written down her recipe and I have attempted it at home, without much success :(  A couple of months ago, I asked her if she would give me a hands on lesson and she agreed.
We peeled the apples, set up the necessary equipment for pie crust making and began.  She instructed me in a step by step process and offered tips at various stages.  The lesson went smooth as silk and you can see the awesome results.  It's never too late to learn!
Later, what amazed me about the whole process was, how easy it really is to make pie crust when assisted by the knowledge of experience.  Alone, technically, I did exactly what the two of us did that afternoon but the pauses for "mix it till it feels like this", "use cold water and ice" or "maybe you need a different pastry blender" made all the difference.  I purchased a pastry blender like hers and it works 100% better than the one I had.
You can have a PhD or read 1000 books but nothing beats learning it face to face, heart to heart from someone who already knows how and is willing to share.
Maybe I should consider an entry in the pie baking category at our local fair?  Something to consider over a piece of good apple pie.

1 comment:

  1. do NOT take those lovely pies to a fair! No, no, no!! I will send you my address and you can ship them to me instead! :)

    ReplyDelete

How nice of you to leave a comment :)